Conquering my [adverse reactions] 1 step at a time
I learned how to suture last week! We used pig's feet and it was a good time. I feel just a little bit more like a doctor now.
I learned the interrupted stitch:
(interrupted because each one is a separate little piece)and the horizontal/vertical mattress stitches:

(this is quite literally a running stitch for all you sewers out there)
One of the doctors tried to teach us some other one that's like the laces on a baseball, but it required a knot that was way too complicated. Maybe if I were a Boy Scout...

2 Comments:
Are they used for different kinds of cuts or is it preference kind of thing?
The two times I've gotten stitches it was an interrupted stitch...
the interrupted is the most common it seems because it's the quickest and easiest. they pretty much said that they use that one for the most part, especially when they're in a hurry. they said that the mattress one is for when you want to get less of a scar for cosmetic reasons because it's better at pulling the two edges of skin together.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home