Watching my 1st "minor surgery"
I was sort of dreading going back to the plastic surgeon's office because I didn't do anything about my aversion to stitches, like he suggested. Then I was told he was doing a "minor procedure" the day I was coming, and clearly that would involve stitches.
So that day, I made sure I ate breakfast and a good lunch, and drank a bottle of Vitamin water in preparation. Paola's dad said I should eat something salty too so I had chips with my sandwich.
So the procedure was a mole removal on the doctor's 19 year-old daughter. I got to "scrub in", which essentially meant that I had to change out of my business clothes and don scrubs that were 2 sizes too large. Then I had to put those surgical bootie things over my sling-back shoes (good thing I was wearing flats).

And then the classic shower cap/hairnet thing and a surgical mask. It all seemed pretty intense for a mole removal... especially for one as small as this girl's.
I was so proud of myself- I did fine through the slicing with the scalpel, and then through the stitches too! I think it helped that I couldn't stand too close, and because the girl was a pain in the neck. Since it was her dad she clearly felt it was her job to make it difficult for him for inconveniencing her with this procedure. It was actually pretty funny. Like 2 minutes after he started she shouted, "Hurry up!" Pretty amusing.
But I did it! I did not have any adverse reaction to stitches!
The plastic surgeon invited me to watch his actual surgeries in the hospital, so I'm building more confidence to maybe do that sometime soon.

1 Comments:
Yay for making it through!
You rock.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home