Surgery: It Begins.
Today was orientation to the surgery clerkship. I can feel the DISorientation coming on, however- everything seems confusing. The hospital clearly doesn't revolve around med students (though we pay enough...), so I'll have to jump in and figure it out.
I am looking forward to easing into this since I was lucky to get anesthesia elective for the first 2 weeks. I guess this means I'll get to practice NOT passing out in an OR, and hopefully intubate a ton of patients. Then maybe I can challenge the paramedic exam and get another job on the side! haha
I felt really dumb today because Grey's Anatomy and ER have had me thinking that OR's were dark with only some lights on the field. I got to peek into a bunch of OR's today and they are so bright!
I also got to see the DaVinci robot
and I learned how to scrub! In learning how to scrub, I found out that I'm allergic to the scrubbing soap stuff. We used it in the ER at Chilton, but I guess I never actually got it on my skin. It got all red and itchy. Aaand while I'm at it, add a latex sensitivity. I'll have to have yellow arms from scrubbing with betadine. It was kind of fun putting on all the sterile surgical stuff though. Maybe this won't be so bad after all...


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home