on why i cannot do internal medicine
Medicine has kept me very busy lately- I thought the lack of sleep was reserved for surgery...
I've experienced a fair amount of loss here. I feel like I always get assigned the patients who are dying. Maybe the residents sensed some kind of extra compassion in me that they hoped I would impart- I'd like to think so anyway. Some of my patients have died before, but not in front of me. They usually go home first. Yesterday, I went in to see my patient and he was clearly nearing the end of his life. I said hello to the family and asked them if they needed anything, and then went about my day. About 4 hours later, I found out that he had died. I was definitely bummed for the rest of the day. I saw him every single day (excluding some weekends) for nearly a month. We were friends. I'm at least comforted by the fact that I know he liked seeing me every morning and he helped me learn.
I don't want to lose emotion as a doctor. I think it's an asset. But if I continue to feel like I'm losing a friend, I won't be able to function as a good doctor anymore. Emergency medicine sounds better and better every day- patients die, and it'll be sad. But relationships aren't made in a single visit. Right? I guess I'll find out...
{Rest in peace, my friend}

2 Comments:
*hug*
Hey Kim,
I stumbled on this post today, and I can relate. Although I am not in internal medicine, I am a physical therapist working in long term care. I work with some people for years and with all that time spent with them I too make friends. Unfortunately, they are very old and often very sick and they do die. I have learned with the loss of so many friends, that the time that we spend together makes a difference in both of our lives. There were times in the beginning when I thought I could not do this, that losing friends all the time, would take its toll on me. But, here I am 11 years into it, and I am loving every minute! I will contiune to make friends, and unfortunately they will die, but the time that we spend together forming our friendship is priceless and I would not trade it for the world!
Hang in there:)
Jen
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home