nutritional hypocrisy
I've been doing a ton of physical exams lately. I guess summer is that time of year when people decide to make all their doctor appointments... So I've looked in a bunch of ears and listened to a bunch of hearts. Good practice. Still suck at the ophthalmoscopic exam (but my spelling of that is getting better!).
This office is very thorough with the "health maintenance", probably because it's affiliated with the UMDNJ family med residency, so I've been forcing myself to ask the questions about diet and exercise that I would have otherwise probably ignored, however horrible that may be. I just feel like I'm in no place to advise people about healthy eating and exercising when I don't even do those things. I do not exercise regularly, I do not get all my servings of fruits and vegetables, I do not eat breakfast, and lately I've begun a morning coffee habit such that the Dunkin Donuts lady knows who I am, and I think by the end of the week, she'll remember my order.
It feels kind of weird to tell people my dad's age about what lifestyle modifications they should be making. But then, one of them said to me, "well, you're the doctor!" So I guess I should get used to this. It'll probably feel this way for a while- at least while I'm still young and unhealthy.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home